Friday, September 10, 2010

" DUMPED" In The High Country

Actually~~~~~~~ I was the the ONLY one left standing in this scenario, it was the other three who got dumped~~~~~~~~~~~

My 10 day trip to the High Country of NC started on Sunday which was spent driving 11 hours. On Monday I went to Valle Crucis (a later post). On Tuesday I joined Peggy Poe Stern and 3 of her writer friends from The High Country Writers for a lunch outing to the famous Shatly Springs Family Restaurant way out in the country. One of the writers, Ree Strawser (not pictured) wanted to take a picture of the rest of us near the OLD farming equipment on display.



As I helped Peggy up on the seat, I remarked that I hoped it would hold her and the remark was not about weight, it was about age & rust! Take the picture Ree, we are all ready! Left to right, Me, Peggy on the seat, Bart and Grace. Notice how Grace has her legs out and relaxed?




TAKE THE PICTURE REE, THIS THING IS MOVING !!!!!!!!!!!!
See me falling backward? See Grace's foot put back trying to brace herself ?


OMG! PEGGY FELL ON TOP OF BART !!!!!!!!!! LOAO!!! The thing collapsed!
Every one's down but me!


I Swear I Tried To Catch Her !!!!!!!!!! :)


BART ?? ARE YOU HURT ??? He was actually straddle of the iron tong. OUCH !


This was hilarious............

I laughed till I cried, had to remove my glasses to wipe the tears..........these guys are soooooo much fun!!! I had such a good time with them!
After we recovered, we had a fantastic COMFORT food meal at this place!

Here you see fried chicken,relish, beans, cornbread, biscuits, gravy & stewed blackberries.

Along with yams, corn, coleslaw, cabbage, mashed potatoes, green beans and tea......

These are some of the shops next to the restaurant.............

I believe you can rent these cabins and fish in the lake to the left of them.......

This was a wonderful day that left me wishing I could be a member of this group !!
Thanks guys for letting me in on the fun!! XOXO

15 comments:

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

This was so funny, Carol, and all captured oh film to boot! Glad no one was hurt.

Your comfort food meal looks amazing!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Oh glory, I can only imagine the laughter that filled the air on that 'dump'. What a great bunch to grab a delicious comfort meal with. I can see that you really had a blast on your trip.

Ya'll have a beautiful blessed day!!!

NCmountainwoman said...

Oh, I saw that coming the instant I saw the picture. The only wise person around was taking the picture. Thanks for sharing this delightful (since no one was injured) series of photographs. And the food...the food!

Becca's Dirt said...

Oh my I'm laughing with you as the story unfolds. Nothing like a good ole laugh to make the body feel so fine. My mouth is watering looking at that fried chicken.

Carol Murdock said...

Hey Pat! It is at the top of the funniest things I've ever done! XO

Hey Nezzy! You are so right! We laughed all the way up to the restaurant and were still laughing at the table!XO

Carolyn ~~~ that food was as good as it looks if not better! XO

Becca~~~~ I still laugh when I think about it! That chicken was finger licking good! XO

Pat in east TN said...

I bet that is an adventure that you'll never forget! The pictures are great.

ALL that food ... goodness sakes!

Tiffany Norris said...

Love that "Ree" got it all on film!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Carol, I've caught up with your trip blog posts so far. I love all of the areas you have mentioned (Highlands, Beech Mtn, Boone, Banner Elk). We've been in or near all of those places. There is a fabulous restaurant in Boone. There's also a fabulous waterfall near Banner Elk --called Elk Falls...

And Highlands is a gorgeous place ..I love driving up that gorge between Highlands and Franklin.. It's like heaven on earth...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. And you look GREAT, Carol...

Funny pictures of you all .... ha ha
Hugs,
Betsy

Anonymous said...

I love the photo story. I wish I could have seen it.

I'd also love to visit that restaurant, but we live on the left coast.

Vicki Lane said...

You told me about that mishap but I hadn't realized you had the whole thing documented. Glad the photographer was so quick! and that no one was hurt, of course.

Brenda said...

It's obvious what fun y'all were having, Carol. And that food is to DIE for!

Marguerite said...

Omg, Carol, that is hilarious! lol Glad that no one was hurt. Love all the pics and that is one fabulous spread at the Shalty Springs Restaurant! Looks like you had a wonderful time!

NitWit1 said...

What a hoot; hope no one hurt rxcept maybea few bruises.

But I loved the varid menu. That looks like a whole lotta fun

Elenka said...

Those are the time we always remember. You can't plan them out, they just happen.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Looks like y'all were having, almost, too much fun!