Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A Week of Sheer Amazement .........










Author Carolyn Haines

When I started this blog my intention was to help the visitors toThe Writers Porch discover new Authors and great reads they may not have heard about.I never thought that it might win Awards from other bloggers or gain attention from any of my favorite Authors. I gave no thought to the fact I might become a fanatic blog stalker,meet a world of new friends, literally from around the world.I think that my taste in books is very diverse and I have such a passion for the written word that I can successfully recommend a really awesome read for just about everyone. Well, maybe that's a stretch, but I am amazed at how many have taken my advice and been pleased after reading the book ! I don't really call myself a good reviewer as I am so afraid I may say too much and spoil the read. I try to give a short detail of the setting, contents and my reaction to the book. I will Not recommend a book that I will not buy and read myself. If I feel there might be something offensive I Will warn the potential reader. I'm not fond of strong language in books but I can look past it, if the story has my attention. It's not like I'm innocent of throwing out a few four letter words myself on occasion!

I don't know how many books fill the Library shelves........more than I care to count, both physically and economically! This is my second Library, the first having been destroyed in a house fire on February 28, 1986.


This blog thing has turned into a real joy for me, although other things around Swiftwater Farm are suffering some neglect. HA! You too, huh? My reading time has been cut in half and that pains me. The TBR stack is screaming my name!


Anyhoo.....This past week has been a week of sheer amazement to me where this blog is concerned! It being listed by my favorite Author Sharyn McCrumb as an interview forum. Receiving a e-mail from " Mockingbird" Author Charles J. Shields not only calling it "an excellent, excellent blog" but also offering his permission to post his beautiful piece " Let's Get Lost" ,as an exclusive!
This blog receiving four Awards this week from fellow bloggers!( TWO yesterday I've not yet got around to posting.)
It now has 18 Followers and has had 200 views from 12 countries in the past week.
Since I really just started doing serious posting in January, I think it's pretty amazing! I am just thrilled!

If you have viewed my profile, you know that I am making my first attempt at Novel writing. I started it in November and have what I feel are two chapters done.This book is NOT an attempt by me to become a published Author. It is my way of leaving an expression of my passion for the written word for my children, grandchildren and those that may come when I am long passed. A view of what I loved in my life.When I am done, I will publish it myself.

My true love is the books on the shelves in this room........the Authors whose hard work and passion brought them to print, whose characters have become beloved friends to me. I am truly a recluse at heart,these books allow me to be reclusive yet never alone. No matter my mood, I can pluck what I need to suit the mood from these shelves.My fear is that I will never live long enough to read all the books I want to read!

And so.........this blog is dedicated to all the Authors with the passion it takes to
home their craft and delight their readers!
I have decided that I might like this interview thing and so sent out a few invitations yesterday. I received great results. I will also be giving away some signed copies of their work.
I have no set plan or schedule as of yet but here's what's in the works........

North Carolina Author/Play write/Storyteller: Gary Neil Carden

Mississippi Delta Mystery Author: Carolyn Haines

Civil War Historical Fiction Author: Jessica James

I will be giving away a signed copy of Gary's book:" Mason Jars In the Flood"
Plus a DVD of his his live storytelling:" An Evening With Storyteller Gary Carden"
A DVD of his Play: " Prince of Dark Corners"

A signed copy of Jessica James' Civil War Love Story Novel: " Shades of Gray"

I will also be giving away signed books by Carolyn Haines. I have yet to learn how many or the titles. The above pictures are from my collection.

All the listed works are on my shelves and highly recommended ! Not a bad start eh? I thank them so much for their generosity, Also thanks to: Producer/Director
Neal Hutcheson of http://www.suckerpunchpictures.com/ for donating the DVD
of his film: "Prince of Dark Corners"

I have many other Authors in mind and will be sending out queries to them !
So we have much fun in store for the gracious visitors of The Writers Porch !!




































































9 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...

Woo hoo, Carol! You are on a roll, girl! I can so relate to this quote:"My fear is that I will never live long enough to read all the books I want to read! "

I've set aside time daily to read chapters of my current book on the go. I've been watching books pile up on the shelves too and wondering, When in heaven am I going to get to those? You know my secret? Turning off the television! Yes...it's the answer I've been looking for and it works!

I look so forward to reading your interviews and count me in on whatever giveaways you're running. The gentleman who said your blog is "excellent, excellent" is correct. You go girl!

Kat

Peggy said...

I'm standing here next to my desk giving you a "high five." Wonderful news! I so enjoy visiting you here, Carol.

I have to echo what Kat said about the TV. I don't watch it anymore. I spend my evenings (after my seven-year-old goes to bed) with my books. Pure bliss!

Can't wait to see your interviews. :-)

Carol Murdock said...

Thank you Kat........
I know the TV thing,my problem is I also love books brought to DVD's.
There is no answer I fear ! Not enough hours in the day!

ceecee said...

Dear Carol,
I felt so excited for you as I was reading this post. I'm a recluse too and blogging and books have been the source of so much happiness for me. I'm so busy this week, but I will be back to read your past interview and, of course, all those yet to come.
All the best,
Catherine

Anonymous said...

Bravo to you, Carol!
As a published author myself, with my first release from Kensington coming out late October, I have to say what you're offering here, both with the reviews and the interviews, is a wonderful service to authors. So keep up the great work.
And I so agree...never enough time to read all that we'd like to. But a page at a time gets another finished book on my shelf.
Like others have said here, my TV viewing is very limited. My evening hours are spent reading.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Congratulations on the success of your blog Carol. Your blog is definitely First Class. I know more wonderful adventures are in store for you! You go girl!

I enjoyed your Shields post...I am a Mockingbird fan.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

My TBR tower is teetering!! Yet I add more!

I'm glad to have found you and look forward to many new posts!!

vicki archer said...

Congratulations - I am glad I have just found your blog and will be back to read your interviews and book recommendations, xv

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Carol! Just catching up now and think your blog numbers are fantastic. It's amazing how many nice people you meet, isn't it?