Friday, March 6, 2009

" WALKING THROUGH NEW ORLEANS"

As you know, on Wednesday we drove down to New Orleans for the book signing. We try and go down there at least once a month as we have family there, Hubby has two sons and a sister who live there, plus we love going to the French Market and eating in the French Quarter which has wonderful food! I love walking around the French Quarter and the Garden District as the houses are just magnificent! However, I've never really taken many pictures except the ones I banish to memory.
Since I've started blogging and visiting so many wonderful blogs, that has changed. One of my daily visits in the blog world is to http://david-mcmahon.blogspot.com/ @ authorblog.
David is an International Photo/Journalist who takes the most brilliant photos all over the world. He has a wonderful eye for detail and we are so lucky he shares that eye with us!
He is responsible for me NOW paying close attention to the detail of things I see!
This post is dedicated to David for making me an " amateur photog" in New Orleans.




This house on St. Charles caught my eye because its bed of blooming Azaleas was breath taking!
Spring has definitely Sprung in New Orleans.................... Click On It To See What I Mean!


When I saw this DOOR...........David and his Wednesday's Door posts were my first thought!
Notice the shiny hardwood floor of the porch, take note also that the door leans to the right...

This house on Fourth and Pyrtania in The Garden District is one of my favorites because of its cast iron Cornstalk Fence! It is across the street from Garden District Books. Is this a dream or what.....this house across the street from a bookstore???

Look at this gate..................now this was an artist at work! The gate has a lock on it but
notice the white dot on the left post........it's a doorbell!

All hand made...................
The rows of corn kernels are uneven, just like the real thing.................

These beauties are the tops of the corner posts......................
Sunflowers and veggies.......
So there you are David...........my attempt at imitating YOU!
Thank you for inspiring me, this really was fun!






13 comments:

skywind said...

Oh, maize iron parapets. Does the well that I have the impulse to eat species. Your photos according to the good. Thank you.

Health is the Greatest Happiness & The World at The Present

Vicki Lane said...

What a wonderful fence! Thanks for the close ups!

Anonymous said...

beautiful fence-and ingeneous to put a doorbell in the post :). Stayed in New Orleans with study friends of my hubby a loooong time ago - my first experience with the South. Some of the buildings are jaw dropping!

Renie Burghardt said...

Well, you have certainly shown some wonderful details in your close-ups, Carol. I have never been to New Orleans, but from your pictures and report, I would love to go. The Garden District must be gorgeous. Do you know if Anne Rice still lives there?

You must have lots more beautiful pictures. Will you show us more?

Meanwhile, have a great weekend!

Hugs,

Renie xox

Carol Murdock said...

Vicki.........these fences are all over the French Quarters, Garden District and Uptown areas of New Orleans.

Jeanette.....that doorbell is ingeneous! New Orleans is full of Magnificent Homes and Old Buildings!

Renie........Anne Rice lived in a gorgeous home on Third Street one street over from this house.It too has a "unique cast iron fence". I've heard several different stories about both where she's living and if she sold the house.
I heard she sold it, then I heard her son Christopher lives there.
I know she did move, to Arizona I think but I heard she moved back after Katrina but not to 3rd Street. Come on down, I'll show you New Orleans!

A Brit in Tennessee said...

What wonderful pictures Carol !
My SIL lives in New Orleans, and is in awe of the architecture there.
The family is in the wrought iron business here, those iron railings and gateposts, would surely make them drool ...
More pics when you get the chance ...please.

Gutsy Living said...

Reminds me of the beauty of Paris and its architecture and statues. Thanks for the photos.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

What a beautiful stroll and I just love that lime green door.

Carol, that flea market is in Leeds, AL and is called the Bama Antiques Mall. I'm sure you can Google it and find out more about it. It's right off I-20 in Leeds.

Reader Wil said...

Your photos are beautiful. That's great to take details of the original photos. You asked if the oracle was true and how much value could be attached to the words of the priestess. Well she didn't know what she was saying. The priests had also three days to prepare the answers and they were open to various interpretations.

david mcmahon said...

Thank you, Carol, for that generous tribute.

I thoroughly enjoyed the photographs. More than two years ago, I advised a lot of writers to start post photos of their blog subjects - and told them that blogs were wonderfully suited to the visual medium, not just to the written word. My theory was that both were not just complementary but were also inter-dependent.

Your post with these wonderful images proves just why this is a fact.

If I have inspired you in any meaningful way, it is my way of repaying a simple debt of honour - to the many people who have inspired me on my own journey through life.

Thank you, again, so very sincerely and so very humbly.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Fabulous! I am in love with New Orleans so I enjoy seeing photos like this! That ornate cast iron fences was magnificent.
I shall have to visit David's blog also. I love location shots and leaning more about the history of an area through them.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

How funny you posted about the cornstalk house, I haven't thought about that place since I was a little kid!

I wonder if the ashtray house is still around - it's in Treme' a block from Bayou St. John

Anonymous said...

I just love the Garden District in New Orleans. That fence was so intricate. All the detail that went into it. Really gorgeous!
Thanks for sharing these. It brought back lovely memories of my visits to New Orleans.