Tuesday, March 3, 2009

" It's Now Or Never ".........

You're here, I tell myself. Question is; is she here? I've spent five hours driving, a sleepless night in a less than comfortable motel room practicing what to say if she opens the door, and now that I'm here,
the fear holds me tight to the car seat. I've dreamed of this moment for years, come all this way and now I'm frozen both physically and mentally. My Lord, she can't eat me, or at least I don't think she can ! I look at the house bathed in the early morning shadows of the two huge live oak trees towering above it. So mysterious I think, just like her. Tomorrows her birthday, is she turning 82 or is it 83? Suddenly I can't remember. I have the card I bought for her along with a nice box of personalized notes I had printed with her name in gold embossed calligraphy lettering, I hope she sends notes instead of e-mailing. Maybe she won't even open them, from what I've read about her you can never tell. Oh Lord, It's now or never, I can't just sit here staring at the house all day, she may call the Police and complain of a stalker in front of her house. Wouldn't that be a hoot, hauled to jail for trying to give your hero a birthday gift? Alright, here goes nothing!

I slowly open the ornate black iron gate to the fence surrounding the yard. Even though it's seventy degrees, the iron is cold as ice. I slowly walk the cobblestone path leading to the porch steps. Carefully I ascend each step, as though it is a gang plank to my demise. Suddenly, like a lightning strike from out of nowhere the door jerks open and there she is! I go stiff and my breath gets caught midway between my lungs and throat, stifling the scream I know is there!

I stare at her as if she were her own ghost! She smiles at me and says in a sweet southern drawl: " Good mor'n child, I'm Nelle Harper Lee, won't you come on in and join me for some breakfast"?

It was then that I awoke and said oh No! To which Hubby asks; what's wrong? I just had a dream I met Harper Lee and I woke up too soon, I say!

copyright(2009) Carol Murdock

19 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...

That was amazing! You write those types of tales so well - I wanted to hear the whole story. I hope you'll continue it in another dream sequence. How fantastic! If you do get to meet her again, ask her how she dreamed up "Boo Radley", okay?

Great! I loved this! (These lines particularly were brilliant: My Lord, she can't eat me, or at least I don't think she can!

Carefully I ascend each step, as though it is a gang plank to my demise.

Excellent! Brava!

Kat

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

A lovely dream to be sure.

There is a framed letter from her on the wall of one of our most frequented restaurants. I stare at it often whilst waiting for a table. I guess that's as close as I shall get!

Tess Kincaid said...

Oh, this is priceless!! Wouldn't you love to have a cup of tea with Ms. Lee? You actually had me going there for a minute, too. Lovely post. Lovely dream.

Carol Murdock said...

Kat......I thought is was time to give you all a taste of my writing
ability, I'm so happy you loved it!

Pamela...oh what a dream!

Willow....I'm doing a practice run for what might be a dream come true!

Kaye Wilkinson Barley - Meanderings and Muses said...

Oh, YOU!

i loved this - BRAVA!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Carol that was very good. I thought your were posting a excerpt from a book. You are so talented and I hope you continue with this also and share some of your other writings.

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? said...

What happens next! My curious mind wants to know~!

Excellent read! Am glad Poetikat
posted it on her blog for all to read!

It was very nice meeting you, and continued success! Petra :))

Renie Burghardt said...

That was beautiful, Carol! So emotionally descriptive. What a talented writer you are. Makes one wonder what it would have been really like, to meet her, have breakfast with her. What would you have talked about, if the words could even come?

Such a great read!

Hugs,

Renie

Anonymous said...

This was good, Carol. But darn it, too bad it was simply a dream. And you didn't even get a chance to ask her a multitude of questions!
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

Elenka said...

You know, you drew me into the story immediately.
It made me think of a blog that i follow where this woman is looking for her real mother. She was adopted and just recently was able to get hold of her birth certificate. She wrote to the woman that supposedly is her mom and also had a friend call. She is waiting for weeks for a response directly. I could just picture her as the person in your story.

Karen said...

You had me completely. I thought you were recounting something that had actually happened! I'm sorry you awakened!

Carol Murdock said...

Kaye...Sorry,I know I left you hanging!

Katherine...thanks and I will share from time to time.

Petra...thanks for stopping by!

Renie...thank you and I can tell you this, it won't be "the book"
cause she will show the door!

Terri......Maybe it will come true, I'm gonna work on that!

Elenka....I can see where this might put you in my of that.

Karen....it may continue tonight who knows?

steviewren said...

I knew you were going to say Harper Lee! I'm a little disappointed that it was a dream....although her reclusive nature is legend.

ceecee said...

This was really terrific Carol! I didn't want it to be a dream...for your sake!
Catherine

Reader Wil said...

You are a real authoress! It's fascinating to read! I also enjoyed reading the one book( or so I am told)Harper Lee wrote :" To Kill a Mockingbird". I didn't know she was still alive.

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog..really glad I did.
I think dreams and wishes share a common ground. In some mystical place you did meet Harper Lee.

Isabel said...

Got here via Poetikat and simply loved your effortless writing. To meet Ms. Lee, now that is a great dream. I hope you go back to sleep and write the sequel.

The W.O.W. factor! said...

This is so exciting! You captured my interest right off the bat! Can't wait for the finished product!

Angie Ledbetter said...

Go back to sleep so we can all see how it ends!!!!!

And let me know when you really do make the pilgrimage. :)