Thursday, March 18, 2010

" These Is My Words" by Nancy E. Turner

I LOVE it when my favorite authors promote the works of other authors! Celebrating the creativity of others in my book is a virtue! One of my VERY favorite authors, Vicki Lane, author of the AWESOME " Elizabeth Goodweather Mystery Series" has recently introduced me to two really awesome writers. NC author Peggy Poe Stern and Arizona writer Nancy E. Turner! Thank you Vicki!




I ordered these 2 books by Nancy last week and finished " These Is My Words" last night. If you can believe it, at the end of this book she talks about her writing and I loved it when at the end she closed with my favorite saying; "I'll never live long enough to read all the books I want to read"! Well, I did live long enough to read this one and what a great time I had!! HA!
I am again reminded of John Berendt's Master Class last year on capturing place! WOW! Did she ever capture it! I felt like I was living it right along with Sarah! Written in diary form, you tend to forget it is fiction. Sarah Prine is my kind of woman! If a book is really good and I'm really into it, I picture the characters (ah la movie)in my head. From the start I pictured Sarah like the Renee Zellweger charterer Ruby in Cold Mountain and Jack Elliott like Tom Selleck. Nancy says she pictured Sam Elliott, so those are pretty close. This book really would make a good mini-series, I will now move on to the second in this 3 book series, Sarah's Quilt...............



This is Nancy E. Turner who wrote and based this series on her Great-Grandmother......

I ordered the 3rd book in this series this morning................



Since we are talking about great grandmothers here, I'd like to fill you in on all I've discovered this past week in my family history. MaryAnn my G-G-G-GM you saw in my last post married the Rev. Jesse Thames. I knew nothing about this branch of my family. I have located a whole new branch of family, new cousins, and lots of information including ANOTHER g-g-g-g-g-grandfather who fought in the Revolutionary War, Rev. William Thames who served in the NC Militia! I also found out that MaryAnn and Jesse along with most of their 13 children(I first believed their daughter Margaret was their only child)are buried at Mt.Zion Cemetery in Wayne County,Mississippi along with all my O'Gwynn family including my Mother. When I am buried beside my Mother I will be the 7th generation of my direct line buried there! NOW that is history to me!


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love to see authors mention books by other authors, too. Whenever a character in a novel mentions a book I have read, especially not a well-known book, I am delighted. Sue Henry (or is it Dana Stabenow?) often does that in her Alaskan mystery series.

NCmountainwoman said...

Thanks for passing these along...and thanks to Vicki for mentioning them.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

I too love to see authors supporting ans recommending the read of another good author. Thanks for sharin' a heap of good reads with us. Your so correct, books play like movies in our head. I don't get off the Ponderosa very often but I can pick up a good read and be transported anywhere in the world.

It's great that you discovered another branch to your family tree. As I've gotten older I've become increasing interested in our families distant past.

You have yourself one glorious day, sweetie?

(How's your back doin'???)

Becca's Dirt said...

I admire that you have been able to find all of these relatives. I need to do something like that.

Callie Brady said...

I'll never get to read all the books I want either. Love that you are finding more family and more about them.

Vicki Lane said...

So glad you enjoyed THESE IS MY WORDS! Me too!

How's the back?

Marguerite said...

Thanks for sharing these great reads! That is wonderful that you have discovered an unknown branch of your family. I spent many years researching my family tree and discovered some amazing things, too.
My posts have not been updating in the sidebar gadget, for over a week now, so please visit when you can, cher!

Pat in east TN said...

I finished THESE IS MY WORDS over the week end and thoroughly enjoyed it. I will be placing an order shortly and SARAH'S QUILT will be included in it.

Midlife Roadtripper said...

I enjoy discovering an author I've never read before. Always surprised I a haven't heard of them and then pleased when I find they have several books to savor.

Deb Shucka said...

It's so nice to see these authors and their books get this lovely attention. The new branch on your family tree is incredibly interesting. What fun to discover.

NitWit1 said...

The books sound interesting but the genealogy caought my interest. My biological sister does a lot of this and is why I know I have Cherokee blood in me.

I_am_Tulsa said...

it is neat to find out what books your favorite authors read...but your story about finding more about your family sounds really interesting too!
BTW, hope your back is doing OK!

MARY IN SCOTLAND said...

I LOVE THESE IS MY WORDS! I can't even explain it how much I love this series. I've never been so connected to a character in all my life. Nancy Turner is amazing!!

Miranda P said...

I loved the Sarah Prine series. I couldn't put them down! But now I've read them each two times and I'm itching for something new. Any recommendations similar to the Sarah Prine series? Thanks!