Saturday, March 13, 2010

" Discoveries "

My Daddy who is 82, has a favorite saying when someone inquires "how are you" ? He will tell them; "I'm still above ground". As long as you are still above ground, life will present opportunities to make new discoveries if you just pay attention. Via this blog last year I discovered a cousin, Linda, whom I knew nothing about. She is from the O'Gwynn side of my family which is my maiden name. Last week Linda's mother discovered this picture of Maryann Elizabeth Broughton Thames who is my Great-Great-Great Grandmother!!
Her daughter Margaret, married my great-great grandfather Charles David O'Gwynn. How amazing it is to me to see this woman from so many generations past!! What a discovery!!





This morning, I discovered that Spring appears to have arrived at Swiftwater Farm!!
The Magnolia Saucer (tulip tree) is about to be in full bloom................


The Forsythia is in full bloom...............

The Josephs Coat Rose is coming on strong with new growth.............


The Spring Bells have sprung their blooms............




The Spirea is full of new leaves..........



As is the Weigela............






The Bradford Pear is showing out!





I have discovered that watching the chickens free range is more fun than watching them in the chick prison............








The inmates LOVE their yard exercise!!!!








As you know, I recently discovered a new to me NC author named Peggy Poe Stern. These are the books I've read by her in the last few weeks. One, Tamarack is missing as I loaned it out to a friend. I LOVE this woman's writing!










She is not the only new author I've discovered. These are the new books I've gotten lately.
The first two are connected to Louisa May Alcott; Hospital Sketches is her own account of her days as a Civil War Nurse, Eden's Outcasts is a duel biography of Louisa and her father.
These Is My Words and Sarah's Quilt are written by Nancy E. Turner. I learned of this author through NC author Vicki Lane's blog. I discovered North Carolina author Rachel Keener through FaceBook. She has garnered great reviews for both of her novels; The Killing Tree and The Memory Thief. The last three; The Apothecary's Daughter, The Silent Governess and Lady of Milkweed Manor were highly recommended by a good friend. I'm looking forward to reading all of these! I LOVE discovering new authors works................





















As for my back problems.......I'm getting better! I'm walking, standing straighter and
I've lost 5 pounds! I do not sit at the PC for long periods and I'm now constantly aware of my posture. I've also stopped the sweet snacks! HA! :)
Have a great weekend everyone!!











25 comments:

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

These Is My Words is a wonderful book and has been in my bookcase for many years....glad too hear your feeling a bit better!

Vicki Lane said...

Good for you! Sounds like you're on the right track! Love the photo of the GGGgrandmother -- it must be about 1860's, do you think?

Rosaria Williams said...

LOve those chickens! Now, I too have a list of Southern Authors to dig into. Good to see you feeling better.

Kat said...

Good for you,keep up the good work.

Callie Brady said...

I love the photo of Maryann. She looks like such a sweet little girl. That photo is a treasure.
Wow! Spring has come to your house for sure!
I'm going to go let my chickens out of their prison. I wait until 10 on Saturday mornings to let Morgan and the girls out... don't want to disturb the neighbors weekend rest. Enjoy your books. Good news about your back!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Glad you are getting better, Carol. I'm proud of you for the weight loss. That's TERRIFIC.

Looks like Spring has really come to Hattiesburg. We have a few Crocuses trying to bloom--but so far, that is all. Spring will be late this year for us.

Love your Family History picture.. That's just SUPER. I really enjoy Family History myself.

Take care of yourself and keep up with us when you have time.
Hugs,
Betsy

Pat in east TN said...

I love your spring time pictures ... maybe there is hope for us that it is slowing creeping our way?

My o my, the books you have read lately. I am just finishing These is my Words and have really enjoyed it.

Glad your doing better!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Chicken prison....heeeheehe! You crack me up!

I'm thrilled that your back is better and the five pounds...woohoo..just an added bonus.

The picture is quite the treasured find. I just love to dig into the family dirt.

Now sister, can ya send some of that Spring up the Ozarks way?

God bless and have a super Saturday!!!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Love the photo and glad to hear you're doing better...onward and upward!
I have some spring flowers pushing their little heads above ground and bees are working the crocus. Surely spring isn't far away?
Please God...let it be spring SOON!

T. Powell Coltrin said...

How wonderful that spring is bursting forth.

Tell your dear father that I would love to use his reply, "I'm still above ground". How I laughed and love this.

Take care of your back. I think spring and warmer weather will surely help some. :)

NCmountainwoman said...

Glad things are getting better. And glad things are showing such great signs of spring. And glad you shared the photographs with us as we await our own spring.

Glynis Peters said...

Love your pics. Well done on losing the weight and such a positive post. I will look out the authors you recommend, thanks.
Enjoy your blooms, they are lovely. Cyprus is coming alive again, it is so pretty.

Marguerite said...

So happy to hear that you are feeling better, mon ami! Spring is finally arriving here, too, but no azaleas, yet, and some of the trees are still bare. But at least, it's warming up, and looks like the chickens are enjoying the nice weather, too. Fabulous pic of your GGG Grandmother and great book list! Have a wonderful week, cher!

B. WHITTINGTON said...

Bless you for sharing with everyone your photos of spring actually arriving in your part of the world. Great photos - love the tulip tree. In Southern Ohio it's cold & damp the last few days. I hear a warm spell is coming and I'm praying it's so.
Love your blog. Love the history you shared. Thanks!
Barb
www.barbwhitti.blogspot.com
PS I love hearing about new authors. I plan to try Peggy Poe Stern.

Nancy's Notes said...

Wonderful photo of your GGG Grandmother, what a terrific find! Love all the pictures of everything coming up! I love Springtime! I enjoyed dropping in, love your blog, I am a new follower, come see me sometime.

Nancy's Notes

Carol............. said...

Spring seems to be popping everywhere.

The family photos are great!

Glad that you're working on getting better.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I LOVE IT when you tell me about NC authors!

The spring pictures are wonderful. The azaleas are starting to bloom here at the beach. Lovely, lovely days ahead.

Truly great news about your back improvement.

Elenka said...

oy, I'm so jealous of your growing things!!! We're not that lucky yet.
Amazing photo. Must seem surreal~

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Like Nezzy says you crack me up...love these pictures and yes Spring is almost here...and I am so happy to welcome it with open arms...
Thanks for all these books titles I have been looking for some good reads..here lately the ones I have brought home from the library are not for me.
Take care
Maggie

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Hi Carol, How are you? It is wonderful that you got a picture of your great-great-great-grandmother; I think she could tell you lots of stories. It really looks that spring has sprung in your garden with the beautiful flowering shrubs.
I have read "These is my words" and The Apothecary's daughter. I enjoyed both books very much.
I like it when the chooks are free range; I wish all could have such a decent life. Best wishes T.

Deb Shucka said...

So glad you're feeling better (and taking better care of yourself). It's lovely to see all the signs of spring. What a treasure that picture of your GGGgrandmother is.

Jen said...

Hi Carol!
I apologize for the lack of visitations on my part. It's been a crazy month!!
I'm so glad your back is feeling better. Back pain is, well, a pain! I've found relief from mine through a chiropractor, thankfully, but I have to continue to exercise. I find that yoga helps a lot!

How neat to discover that photograph. I love it. And I love your father's saying. It's so very true :)

You have quite a stack of books
there! Out of them, I've only read The Apothecary's Daughter. It was really good. Not normally my genre, but I really enjoyed it!

Have a wonderful day!
Jen

Becca's Dirt said...

Hey there Carol. I was just reading your previous post and it sounds like a good book about the back and posture. I have to concentrate to keep my back and posture right and it hurts when I don't. Hope it works for you.

That is so neat about your family members. Those are really old photos.

I have tagged you for 'photo tag fun'. check out my blog.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I'm late reading your post, I just really don't have the time to 'work'.....
Glad to read you are feeling better, I was worried about you there !
You can certainly tell from your flowers you are further South than us, all that blooming going on !
Love the photo of GGGgrandmother, wow !

Janet, said...

I love pictures of old ancestors. Looks like spring is on a roll at your place. We're getting a little new growth coming up and our daffodils are blooming.