Friday, October 8, 2010

" PEACE ON EARTH "

Well, it has been a stressful two weeks since my birthday! I had to return to Townsend again last week. The sellers of the Peacock Ridge property had countered our offer so I went back to look at a couple of more properties along with it before deciding to counter back. We met in the middle and I think we are all happy. I know we are !!!!
On Thursday morning I awoke to 56 degrees and light rain (something we have not seen here in a month) and was in dire need of a relaxing day! I headed out early for my favorite place CADES COVE..............
I'm sure most of you have been through Cades Cove but like me, NEVER tire of seeing it. It is the setting of my novel( which I hope to finish someday) which makes every trip inspiring, so come along with me to the most peaceful place on earth!














The Smokies were really Smoke'n !







These Deer and Turkey..........were having a peaceful breakfast together......

Around the bend however I was forced to stop the car for these two Gobblers who appeared to be doing the Gobbler Tango! YES! There are two of them and they payed NO mind whatsoever to the car or me!


I stood and waited for the Tango to move to the roadside and into the woods!




A quick stop at this church which was the center of both life and death for many of the cove settlers.................




Is it any wonder why they are the Smokies ???????





Oh My Gosh !! It's a BEAR hunting breakfast ..............






While I was inside the Cable Mills visitor center looking at the books (what else) one of the employees says; "look at the Bucks" ...........
I ran to the porch and look what I saw! Bucks everywhere!

I snapped this one behind the mill............

The Becky Cable House............

Becky Cable is a character in my book so I love visiting here........

I think I have done a good job bringing the truly fascinating woman back to life in the book....

Upon leaving Cable Mills I always take a right and go down Parsons Branch Road....
This is a small rapid in Forge Creek..............

This tangle of tree roots caught my eye.............


A little way down this road is my favorite cabin in the cove...........
The Henry Whitehead place............




I think the reason it's my favorite is because it shows pioneer progress.....

Henry first built a one room windowless cabin and years later built a two story cabin with windows in front of the old one . The old one was then used as the kitchen...


The BEARS like it too! I've seen more bears here over the years than any other place in the park!


A BEARS EYE view looking down the hill...........


Next we see the Tipton Cabin...........


I love the Bee Gums! So named as they used hollowed out Gum Trees for their bee stands....


Across the road is the Cavilier Barn and Corn Crib..............


Peaceful foraging for another buck...........


Back in Townsend looking back towards Cades Cove...........


One of the reasons I love Townsend is because it is so close to Cades Cove where Peace on Earth is alive and well ..........


Back at the farm this morning it's pretty peaceful too and kinda of Smoky at the pond!


HAVE A GREAT PEACEFUL WEEKEND EVERYONE !!!!! XOXO

16 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

Lovely pictures, Carol!

Becca's Dirt said...

Beautiful. I enjoyed the trip with you. I always feel special when deer are close enough for me to see how pretty they are. I have them in my back yard almost daily but can't get a photo.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi There, I posted today (and have several recent posts) on Cades Cove and Rich Mtn.

Congrats on getting your house... You all will love it... I hope they money all worked out to everyone's satisfaction.

I saw the pictures of your 'new' mountain home. It is fabulous... Let us know when you visit there. We will drive over to see you.

i even wrote about the Cantilever barn today...

Have a great weekend, Carol.
Hugs,
Betsy

NCmountainwoman said...

I love Cades Cove as well. What a wonderful area. I'm a bit surprised there was a problem with the house sale. The real estate market is still down with tons of houses for sale. I'm glad you were able to come to agreement.

Kat said...

Thank you for sending me on such a lovely, peaceful journey in the Smokies. Loved it!!!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Thanks so much for allowin' us to tag along with you. The pictures sure tell the story.

I'm just thrilled ya got the house of your heart. God is good!

I've been MIA in Brownsville Tx. with my fam. I lost my Daddy this week.

God bless and have yourself a marvelous weekend!!!

Arkansas Patti said...

Between you and Betsy, I have had a great return visit to one of my favorite places this week.
You need to finish that book, you certainly picked an interesting locale for it.
Hope the dream place is actually yours now.

Morning's Minion said...

What beautiful country. The old barn is ismilar to many here in KY.
I hope you finish and publish your book--it sounds like one I would like to read.

RiverPoet said...

Hi Carol -

Sorry I haven't been around in awhile, but one of the beautiful places I got to see while I was in the mountains (where I lived for the last year and a half) was- you guessed it - Cades Cove! I got pictures of deer and turkey, but no bear. Some of the views coming back through Gatlinburg and Cherokee from Pigeon Forge are spectacular!

One of the many good memories I will carry with me of my time in the mountains.

Peace - D

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

Out blog hopping this evening. Your photos of Cades Cove brought back many warm memories. My husband and I have traveled to the Great Smoky Mountains a number of times and love Cades Cove, in particular. So peaceful.

Have a blessed weekend.

Pat in east TN said...

Cades Cove is one of my favorite places .. I love spending time there, no matter what the season.

Brenda said...

Beautiful pictures, Carol; thanks for letting me tag along!

steviewren said...

I haven't had the pleasure of driving through Cades Cove in years, so thank you for the drive along. As soon as I see that peaceful valley, I can feel the years fall away. I feel as if I could be there among the earlier inhabitants...if I ignore all the cars. Happily, one of my sons has rented a cabin in Townsend for the week of Thanksgiving and has invited me to come. I can't wait!

Wobegon Cottage said...

What a beautiful place for inspiration..I too am trying to write but alas I am not a writer and mine is a cookbook. Hope to read your novel soon!

Callie Brady said...

Thank you, Carol, for the trip to Cades Cove. I love the cabins and photos of the Smokies and wildlife. Wish I could visit sometime.

xinex said...

Beautiful wilderness, Carol! What's the title of the book? I will have to watch out for it....Christine